Monday, November 30, 2009

Tiny Hat

Here's the how-to for that little winter hat ornament I showed you last week. A friend taught me how to make these when we were in middle school and we stayed up all night making a huge pile of them to sell at the school craft fair. And that's how I paid my way through college! (juuuust kidding)

You'll need some yarn, a pair of scissors, a ruler, and a piece of a paper towel roll cut about 1/2" thick.

Cut a handful of yarn strands about 10" long. I find it easiest to wrap them around an appropriately-sized book and cut them as shown.
Make a loop with one piece of yarn and stick the loop up through the cardboard roll.
Wrap the two ends of the yarn up around the front of the cardboard roll and through the loop. Pull tight.
Do this all the way around the loop. You can make it a single color, alternating colors, whatever! It looks like a little hula skirt at this point.
Then turn it inside out by pushing all the yarn ends up through the cardboard roll.
Then tie them tightly with another piece of yarn.
Trim the little pompom at the top of the hat and there ya go! Feel free to leave it as is or embellish it with ribbon, rickrack, buttons, glitter, etc!

Hope those of you who do the whole Thanksgiving thing had a good one! Our "Christmas at Thanksgiving" festivities were awesome of course. (This time it was Jenny's turn to be very pregnant.)


This week promises to be crazy as usual! Several deadlines, lots of projects, a musical, a presentation, a tea party, annnnd Hudson turns FIVE on Wednesday! He's requested pizza and a Wolverine cake like last year's batman cake. We'll see what I can pull off!

Hope your week is off to a good start!!

Arian : )

5 comments:

Erin A said...

This is adorable! I love little holiday crafts, you can't beat them. Found your blog through a friend's, but I actually went to school with your sister, who is good friends with my brother and his wife (of Ellery) so I felt like a mini-intro was needed. :)

Great stuff, think I'll follow you. Blessings! :)

Anonymous said...

Cute, I made one of those little hats a few weeks ago. I remember my mom teaching me how to make them when I was eight. They make awesome ornaments, but also cute hats for dolls and plushies. Nice tutorial!

Rowdy Family said...

Thank you! so cute

Kim said...

They are so cute! Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

Love it! Can't wait to do this with my kiddos- I think this will be the craft we do after reading "The Hat" by Jan Brett.

Keep those creative juices flowin'!