Monday, February 4, 2008

"Emotional Roller Coasters"--the cutest saddest story

(little story for the fam--)
A three year old who stayed up way too late watching the Superbowl mixed with a very pregnant, night-owl mom at 7:00am can make for an emotional morning...

Recently Hudson has been waking up in time to eat breakfast with Daniel before he goes to work--kind of their morning ritual as of late. So this morning when we woke up just in time to see Daniel leave for a breakfast meeting, he lost it. Daniel reluctantly dropped the heart-broken, sobbing, kicking boy into bed with me on his way out.

And when I couldn't console him I started crying.

"Why are YOU crying, mommy?" he said, tilting his head to one side and laying his hand on my knee.

"I don't like to see you sad." I cried

"Now we're BOTH SAD!" and he threw himself crying into my lap.

We fell back on the pillow, hugged, and cried for 15 minutes. (I know, it was ridiculous).

Then we drowned our sorrows in bowls of Koala Crisp cereal and were ready to start the day.

Now I have visions of a 14-year-old Hudson watching "Steel Magnolias" with me someday amidst mounds of wet tissues and empty Ben and Jerry's containers--oh, brother.

No comments: