Monday, September 20, 2010

The Antidote

Last week I had a really discouraging conversation (don't worry, it was no one you know) and I just haven't been able to shake it off since then. It was one of those conversations that doesn't just rain on your parade, but leaves you wondering if having a parade was foolish and childish to begin with. Sigh.

So when I walked into Crossroads yesterday morning I was feeling pretty heavy-hearted. And THIS is how the worship service kicked off (watch all 4 mintutes--it gets bigger and better). Freakin beach balls and tire swings and a flash mob and an Owl City sing-a-long complete with 1000's of "fireflies". Perfect. Timing.

The current series is about Playing--- how we were created for work AND play AND rest. And when it comes to our relationship with God, play is invaluable (imagine a relationship with YOUR kids/parents that didn't involve laughing together, playing together, just enjoying being together---it'd be pretty hollow). Play brings our hearts out of those depressing ruts (like dwelling on discouraging conversations). It is good.

Anyway, if this is something that resonates with you, I suggest listening to the message here. For me, I'm feeling the need to really meditate on this all week and be intentional about play.

Step 1: This morning's date with the sweetest, funniest two-year-old. One whose hair laughs in the face of gravity.
journaling and an iced soy latte (for me, not him)
spontaneous clapping
silly faces
and finger dances.

On with the parade : )

Now go play,
Arian

9 comments:

Crystal Jeffers said...

Playing is essential to development! I certainly hope that you are able to discover some wonderful moments of play.
I am desperate to know what kind of Yummy muffin is that sweet boy eating?

painterchic said...

You are so right. Thanks for sharing, glad you got your parade and your sunshine back :)

Pie said...

Owl City is simply the best. x~)

Rita Maria Gallery said...

sometimes people can easily rub their negativity on us and we just have to quickly wash it off. i'm glad you found comfort how you did. sweet pictures as always. love them!

with heart,
rita maria

AmberDelusion said...

I went to the Crossroads website and checked out the series on play. It is unbelievable how this hit home for me. Thank you so much for sharing. :)

Matt & Lanna said...

you have the most precious boys! I love looking at your pics of them. They are going to be two cool studs when they get older.

Freely Living Life said...

Wonderful post and priceless pictures. Never let anyone take the wind from your sails or rain on your parade! Shove their negativity to the side and continue to be you! =0)

{{hugs}}

I'm off to visit "a beautiful mess"!

Christina said...

Way cool. :)

HanPlans said...

I just watched the Fireflies video that is awesome!!! I posted it on Facebook as well (I'm friends on there with my pastor lol. drop hints!!)

Two year olds are the best! THen again my God daughter is 3 tomorrow :D