Thursday, June 26, 2008

Granny and Papa's: Prints and Patterns



We just got back from our trip home--great time with family, a beautiful wedding, reconnecting with friends---all very very good. Part of the time was spent at my grandparents' house. They're in their upper 80's and have lived in the same house for almost 40 years. They built it themselves using a lot of materials (rocks, wood) they gathered from the area around them.

It seems like it's hardly changed during my lifetime--same wallpaper, same carpet, same pictures on the wall, books on the shelves, magnets on the fridge, etc, etc. So this time there I tried to capture some of the prints and patterns in their house that are sooo familiar to me. Here are a few....


Tools in Papa's shop. He remembers where he got each one and many are older than me.


a button from the old, broken organ in their guest room


The living room carpet. My guess is that it was made with threads left over from every carpet ever made.


The wall and door of the basement bathroom.


A collection of tins and jars that have lined the top of the bathroom cabinets as long as I can remember.

There are more photos here if you'd like to see!

1 comment:

Etta said...

Cute blog. Very sweet.